Monday, November 14, 2011

Pick at the things you love

Or hate. But I think it's more interesting when people expose flaws in something they love.

Journalism cannot truly be objective. Beginner journalism classes tell student journalists that they must be objective. I've heard it come before things I find more important, such as holding yourself accountable for what you write and minimizing harm. Both freshman and sophomore years, professors told us students in class that we had to be objective. Sometimes I wonder if they want us to be soulless reporters, merely regurgitating "news."

I'm never going to be objective. I am extremely opinionated. I have certain biases, and I'd rather they be in plain view. Someone could most likely figure out my political orientation (or at the very least figure out which side of the spectrum I'm on), my favorite types of videogames, my favorite book series, and a handful of my values just by reading a few things I've written on Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, or blogs. Will that haunt me in the future? Possibly, but I'd rather be honest to myself and accountable to my values.

Halfway through my sophomore year on winter break, I visited my English teacher from high school. As always, we got into a discussion about politics and journalism. We were discussing objectivity when she said, "Let's say you're assigned to interview Dennis Kucinich. How would you question him compared to a different politician?"

(Here's a hint: I adore him.)

At the time, I was convinced if I were to cover something or someone I loved, I would inherently slant the story. I still believe I would possess that inherent bias, but I think I'd be more likely to critique someone or something I love. Journalism doesn't need blind followers of an idea or a person, but it does need critical thinkers who are motivated to do research. And, most of the time, that motivation stems from being in love with something.

For example, Mayhill Fowler, a citizen journalist for Huffington Post's Off the Bus, was the one who broke the story about Obama's offhand comment about small-town Americans. Fowler was also an Obama supporter. Fowler debated whether she would write the story because she didn't want to hurt Obama's campaign, but in the name of good journalism, she thankfully published it. (Look at me slanting this blog post!)

Fowler even openly reported she was an Obama supporter. Other supporters attacked her for publishing the article. I don't think they realized she was doing journalism--not PR.

It's okay to have opinions. If you don't stand something, you'll fall for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment