Tuesday, November 8, 2011

New media expose people's true colors

With Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and who knows what else, readers can get more acquainted with the minds behind the content they're reading. Whether that prompts a reader to continue reading or let it go, I still think it's a good thing that we're able to better know writers and editors. Most of the time it's to support them.

And then, now and then, someone slips.

McKinley Noble, a staff editor at GamePro, made a slip-up yesterday in a tweet. It says:
What does rape have to do with the #TombRaider reboot? Buy the 1st GamePro Quarterly & solve the mystery on page 49.

I like GamePro, and I don't think Noble is an awful guy. I was certainly outraged when I saw his initial tweet, and I--along with several others (both men and women)--demanded an explanation over Twitter. But I do know that his reputation has fallen in my mind. He may be a good editor, but I do not agree with the way he trivializes and jokes to try to make it seem like the rest of us are wrong for not being able to take a joke.

The storm he got last night has faded from the Internet now. I believe this is because videogame magazines are, generally, not read as frequently as other sources for general news. If this guy was a journalist for something like the New York Times or the Washington Post, I'm sure he'd get more than just a stern talking to.

No comments:

Post a Comment