Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Drudge fudges facts

When I first went to The Drudge Report, I wanted to gouge my eyes out from the shoddy design. Then I wanted to bang my head against the wall when I saw what Drudge linked to. Now I think I want to gag after reading Drudge's "accurate" original reporting.

In 1999, Drudge claimed to have a world exclusive story about a woman's claim that her child was Bill Clinton's son. Sure, there are sources in his article. Drudge has a loyal readership, people who would willingly believe whatever he writes.

He's one man with no journalism training who links to articles he wants other people to read. In that way, he kind of sounds like a blogger. However, bloggers provide links to sources, proving that what they're reporting is factual.

A timeline shows that Drudge was really pushing this story. I know I recently said that having opinions and biases is a good thing, but I don't believe Drudge is the type of person who can fairly report something while acknowledging that he has a certain political leaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment