Monday, October 31, 2011

Social Media are vital for independents

Social media have become an important part of journalism. Newspapers today are still struggling to figure out how to best engage its audience through Facebook and Twitter. (Protip: Please don't spam my feed with 10 links to stories all within a few minutes.)

But social media are important for businesses, and even more important for independent businesses. Little Independent is a Chicago-based online marketplace selling independently made items. Since its launch in June, it now features stores in Illinois, Indiana, Delaware, and Massachusetts.

Social media is an integral part because this online marketplace encourages communication among independent retailers.

Lesley Tweedie, the founder of Little Independent, spoke with the San Francisco Chronicle and said this:

"I was traveling out of state recently and had dinner with an independent retailer I connected with on Little Independent's page on Facebook. Although I had never met her in person, we had an instant connection as owners of small retail stores."

I think Little Independent has come about at a good time. Most people my age I know do most of their non-food shopping online (I am included in this). While there are brick and mortar stores, it will likely grow the most over the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment